Monday, July 11, 2005

Outside the Tent

Sheila's additional rules for book-signings of pop fiction authors:

1. Listen when the author says it's better to choose a favorite book because it's likely he won't be able to sign everything you bring him. I could've saved some cash had I had restrained myself from buying a hardbound "signing" copy of Fables and Reflections. In the end I just asked Neil to sign my old copy of Neverwhere and my brand new 2nd copy of Stardust.

2. Do not party the night before you're due to line up for a numbered pass. As it was I got #631 at 11:30am when I should've been in line at 8am to secure a number in the early 100s. But then luck was still on my side because some staffer of Fully Booked mistakenly released up to #750 when they were only supposed to issue out 500.

3. Bring a nice comfy chair, a pillow, cold drinks and a fan--- this holds true especially for book signings in Manila where it's damn hot!

4. Be very careful about picking up strays while in line...you never when it's someone you wish you could tune out.

5. It pays to be outspoken, and optimistic. I did get my book signed (at 1am) also because about 150 people gave up ahead of me.

It was quite an experience to wait 14 hours for the signature of one man. But this was Neil Gaiman, who I have to salute for having the stamina to sign books for 7 hours straight and remain extremely sweet and down to earth to the very end.

In between though, I was quite entertained by lunch, the Fantastic Four movie we stuck in between 12:30- 2:30 pm, a lot of sticks of cigarettes, checking out the sole cute guy there (sadly I already know he's kind of a snob), and playing catch-up with almost every geek in my generation who turned up for the event--- from the Ateneans, to the gaming industry crowd, to the Ad Agency people, to the rock bands, to the Cyber Journalists. A friend of mine who was totally uninterested in Neil but just went to accompany his girlfriend commented how I seemed to know everyone there. And I had to face the fact. I am a geek. A geek who has 2 books signed by Neil Gaiman. Weee!




The picture of success! Me and Neil, who can't even look up at the camera anymore as he's been blinded by flashes the whole day.



Here Neil's perspective on the event:

Saturday, July 09, 2005

In the Tent
posted by Neil 7/09/2005 12:54:00 PM

In the Philippines, the people are enthusiastic on a level that makes the Brazilians look reserved and polite. They shout very loudly when they're happy, too. There's a noise that a few thousand of the locals make when they all shout at once to let you know they're happy to see you that made me finally understand the idea of a wall of sound...

Apparently over 3000 people turned up to see me, although only 700 tickets guaranteeing you a signature were given out (and had all gone well before lunchtime). (Which I still don't quite understand as I was told it would be limited to 500. But there you go.) It began late, due to overrunning tv interviews, followed by Printer Hell, when I couldn't get something to print out on the hotel printer, so I had to read it on stage from the laptop -- which left me feeling I'd made the right choice in getting a laptop that weighs about 2lb. So the event began a little after 4:00pm. A short ANANSI BOYS reading, a short Q&A, and then I signed...

I stayed till everyone still there in the tent was done -- I finished signing for the last people in line, all of us more than somewhat shellshocked, around 1:25 am.

Goodnight.


*****************************************

In unrelated news, I will be floating on clouds for an indefinite period of time as I just recently met with my favorite actor P for a "business" opportunity (Many thanks Gil for setting this up). I have watched all this guy's movies and have even downloaded his MMS photo so I can blissfully sigh at his picture on my phone wallpaper as I drift off to sleep. Here's the funny part---- as I giddily stuck out my hand to greet him when I arrived at the restaurant for our meeting, he said, "Yes, we've met before." I thought this was a line ---- I mean how would I have forgotten meeting HIM! He kept on insisting and I was ready to blame it on my evil twin (yes that girl who keeps on going around looking exactly like me--- my mom and sis have seen her around). P was so bothered he kept on insisting that he remembered my name, my face, and my personality. Finally we figured it out --- he remembers me from high school! He used to visit our campus often and remembers seeing me around…he even knew I was the "class speaker" and a "top student" (yes kids I told you I was a geek). He started calling me "Classmate" after that, and at the end of our meeting, we made beso-beso.

Sigh. Imagine that.

3 comments:

High Power Rocketry said...

:O) Cool page...

High Power Rocketry said...

:O) Cool page...

Unknown said...

Alex, did u mean page design or writing? Just kidding ;) Thanks for dropping by!