Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Bangkok Sightseeing Shortcuts

If you have only one day to go around Bangkok, you might want to take my quickie itinerary. These 2 places I visited on my only free day in Bangkok (it was a Sunday) fulfilled both my bargain-shopping and my photo-opp-ing needs.

Chatuchak Weekend Market. (MRT-Kamphaeng Phet) This should be your first stop in the morning, before the hot noontime sun hits the stalls and there are less people. This weekend-only open air market (reminiscent of the old Divisoria) is quite accessible as the Kamphaeng Phet station is smack dab in the middle of the market. I’ve heard so many people call this bargain-hunters paradise overwhelming which why I was afraid to go at first, but then I remembered I’ve shopped at the Greenhills tiangge during Christmas time so I shouldn’t be daunted by anything.

Chatuchak has everything from Thai silk goods, Chinese décor items, glassware, steelware, wall hangings, tons of trendy clothes, shoes, bags, accessories, leather goods, artwork…I could go on and on! I was only there for a few hours but ended up with 4 photo frames (US$2 each), a short silver grey bubble dress (US$5.40), set of 4 candle holders (US$10.60), a hand-painted wood hanging (US$10), a bright printed summer dress (US$16), 3 chunky necklaces (US$2 each), a chiffon skirt ($10) and 2 Thai silk pillow cases ($6 each), and silver dangly earrings ($12), ceramic ashtray and vase (US$0.30 each). I was eyeing some woven bags, more tops and skirts but thank God I had to force myself to leave for my next stop. What’s great about shopping in Chatuchak is that, perhaps because of the language barrier, don’t pressure you into buying anything. Negotiating is common, but I’m always embarrassed to do so which I know is quite un-Pinoy. I tried the “walking away” technique but no one came after me, so I usually settle for a 10% discount, and felt elated when I went all the way up to 30% off for some purchases.

Before I left I got lunch at the Toh-Plue restaurant which wasn’t all that fabulous, and I wished I could have tried more of the street food they were hawking at the market.

Chaopraya River. (BTS- Mo Chit) The second part of your day can be devoted to a trip down Chaopraya River by the Express Boat accessible from the Central pier. Since I had limited time, I chose to stop over at the Tha Thien pier where the Wat Pho (Reclining Buddha) and Grand Palace. On the way there, you can ogle the beautiful riverside hotels like The Oriental, Shangri-la and The Hilton. Across the Tha Tien pier you can also visit the Wat Arun (Temple of the Dawn). The river cruise is perfect in the afternoon because on the way back you can see the Wat Arun basked by the sunset. Of course I missed my stop which is why my time got even more limited--- but its ok I also got to witness a fish feeding frenzy which one of their weird tourist activities there. Actually it was easy to get back on track, the ferry “conductors” are very helpful in pointing you to where you should get off, just as long as you tell them where you are going. Taking the express boat is a lot like taking a Philippine bus, they have conductors on-board collecting fare and they issue those small, thin paper tickets.

In touring the Wat Pho which has the biggest Buddha statue in Thailand (you cant fit it in one photo), you will be asked to wear head-covering and take off your shoes. The Wat Pho is also the site of a traditional Thai massage school conducted by the monks, and if I had arrived early enough I could have tried a head or foot massage for the price of a donation. Outside the Wat Pho, tons of tuktuk drivers offered a riding tour for only 20 Baht (when I wouldn’t accept the tour they tried to flatter me into it) but I seriously thought I could’ve walked to all the sights they were suggesting. However, it was getting dark and I was channeling Sarah Jessica Parker by taking the river ride in a Vietnamese silk printed sundress, I decided it wasn’t appropriate to stay late while being alone.

After this long day, I took myself to a nice dinner booked myself a massage of course!

No comments: