Thursday, May 26, 2005

Boracay this year

Image hosted by Photobucket.com



My excuse for being in Boracay was a cafe assembly for Boracay cafe owners...yes all fifteen of them! I did my job, visited 3 beachfront internet cafes, checked out the brand new signage we paid for....then I got down to real work!



Image hosted by Photobucket.com  I added another henna tattoo to my week's collection, this time a glittery butterfly on my lower back.  I wish I could've kept it longer, but that would've meant avoiding the water entirely! For those who want the same, it costs P150 at the tattoo artists in front of El Torro at Station 1. It lasts 5-10 days.



For this short 2-day trip, I actually made some effort to spend time by myself.  Not that one can ever be alone in Boracay, but its quite different to sit on the sand by yourself and watch the world go by. Peaceful in a way, though the rest of the beach was in constant flux with people and boats coming and going all the time.  Also liberating, to be able to manage your own time, not having to consult with other people for mealtimes and  "mini-outings." Of course, I did my shopping and massage staples, and walked up and down the beach so many times I kind of hoped I'd end the day with a 6-pack abdomen (it didn't happen).



Image hosted by Photobucket.com



I entered one internet cafe and wondered why they were wasting their time teaching very dark and slightly dusty kids to play Ragnarok, when I was told that these were the kids who create the beautiful sand art at night. Yes, those castles and dolphins and  turtles lit by the light of the moon and glowing candles in the evenings, but get washed away by daytime. They make money in the form of "donations" in front of their masterpieces, then they turn around and go to the internet cafes to spend money on games.  Guilt struck me at the thought that perhaps they should spend their hard earned money on more important things...but then I also wondered, they're kids too, don't they deserve playtime and games as well?



Boracay has changed very much from the first time I was there about 3 years ago, so much more crowded when even back then I thought it was already bursting at the seams.  But one thing's remained gorgeous...the sunset over the clear blue seas and white glowing sand.



Image hosted by Photobucket.com






No comments: