Sunday, March 07, 2010

The Dhaka Guide (Part 2 of 2)

When I started writing this post last year, fresh from my Bangladesh stint, I had so much ambition for it. I wanted to turn it into my office's definitive guide to staying in Dhaka. But time and life got in the way and I seem to have lost some of my travel guide photos, so I can only remember bits and pieces. However, I hope I have remembered the best parts.

A photographer friend commented that it must be amazing to take a camera to the streets of Dhaka and I agree the sights and sounds can be colorful and unique to document but for some reason I was always uncomfortable taking photos in the streets. Either I felt I would draw too much attention, or I didn't feel right pointing my slightly expensive camera at scenes of poverty. Its really unusual to be in Bangladesh, to be part of extremes and end up belonging to the upper half while many are at the lower end. People there have gotten used to it and I assume if I stay there longer I would be used to it too. However, the contrast is still stark for a "guest" such as myself.

That being said, I'd like to get back to best parts of sightseeing in Dhaka, besides its crazy streets, there are also some moments of its history:

Lalbagh Fort in Old Dhaka, an incomplete palace of the Mughal era, which contains a mosque and the tomb of the Mughal princess Bibi Pari.


Ahsan Manzil (The Pink Palace) in Old Dhaka, another landmark of the Mughal age situated at the Buriganga river. Here you can imagine the glory days of Bangladesh when both local and foreign royalty plied the palace halls. Not much is left though, in this place which is now a museum, and it makes you wonder how much was taken away over the years.


The Parliament Building in Dhaka, with an unusually futuristic design.


The best sightseeing trip I made was to Sonargaon, the old Bengal capital. A 2 hour drive out of the city, although its only 40 kms away, showing you how heavy the traffic situation can be. Stepping into Sonargoan is a refreshing gulp of fresh air, not only pertaining to the wonderfully green surroundings, but also to the seemingly cheerful, laid back people that occupy it.

Had they been better preserved, these ruins would have made it to the World Heritage Site list.
I still think they are beautiful though.


Happy tuktuk driver.

Colorful painted rickshaws.


The tip of an abandoned Hindi temple.

The Hindi temple ruins remind me so much of the Angkor Wat in Cambodia.

Sonargaon folk museum

Lost iron art.

Beautiful and friendly children by the old mosque.

After I left Sonargaon I realized I have a Buddha Bar track on my iPod with the same name. I found a video for it on the web, and yes, it is apt to remember the spirit of the place.



No comments: