Monday, July 14, 2008

Travel Bug on Overdrive

In the 1st quarter of the year, I stuck pretty much to home territory (a.k.a KL) wondering where I would end up next. Then suddenly a series of trips kept me busy and away for the second quarter, starting with a vacation Siem Reap, then Phuket, Bangkok (one trip for work and another for play), business in Islamabad, a company trip to Kota Kinabalu (specifically Mount Kinabalu), a conference and party weekend in Hongkong (perfectly timed with my birthday), plus a couple of trips to the Philippines which included a Boracay getaway.

Right before I left for my Manila vacation in late June, I got a hold of some good news. I was being sent to the company HQ in Oslo to deliver a presentation there. Ok, the thought of giving a presentation has me quaking in my shoes and Norway is a sub-arctic region, but I'd never been there. It was also a gateway to Europe and I considered taking a few extra days for a little trip down west since I had always wanted to explore other places since my last visit in 2002.

While on vacation in Manila, I kept on checking my email (and having my friends check it!) for the other bit of news I was waiting for. And finally got. An academic paper I wrote was accepted to a conference in Athens. Get this...the conference was only 2 weeks from my Oslo trip. I was able to apply for a week's leave from the office and picked my European detour between Norway and Greece: Italy!

I've booked a Contiki tour through a local travel agent and though she was the most tactless one I've ever encountered ("Are you aware that Contiki is a tour for youngsters?"), her attitude hasn't dampened my enthusiasm for my upcoming trip through the cities of Rome, Venice and Florence. I also have a little time to pass through Santorini island right before heading off to the Athens conference.

During the trips I will get to meet up with my high school best friend who now lives in Gothenburg, Sweden, because its 4 hours away from Oslo by bus; as well as my mom's ex's youngest son (my ex-stepbrother?) who lives in Athens. Throughout it all, I will be armed with a new pseudo-DSLR camera generously sold to me by a friend for a token fee.

You can just imagine how excited I am--- and I'm totally grateful about how everything is falling into place. Its been one wonderful surprise after the other and I'm breathless with anticipation as to what's next . The Europe countdown begins!

No comments: