Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Bad Days, Better Days

"I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody." - Bill Cosby

There a couple of small screens at the ground floor and 6th floor elevator lobbies of our building that they're trying to sell ad space for. For lack of actual ads, they have resorted to placing slide shows with inspirational quotes and in fairness, I've seen a couple of pretty good ones. But nothing more striking or applicable to myself than Cosby's words of wisdoms above. See, I'm a people pleaser. I hate it when people hate me. So sometimes I go above and beyond the call of duty to make people comfortable and happy.

For a tough stretch last week, the call of duty asked me to be the harbinger of doom to people. I kept on telling myself I couldn't control what happened. But it's really hard when something you gotta do makes other people unhappy.

So by the end of the week I tried to take Cosby's words to heart and stopped thinking about pleasing everyone...except myself! Went surfing (in tamer waves then last November) and this time standing up on the board wasn't just a fluke because I did it several times. Woohoo!

Uh-oh, now I'm addicted to the waves. Here are photos of me getting stoked! :)


3 comments:

Toni said...

Surfer dudette! Nice! :) Bagay sa 'yo Stella! Stella the Stellar Surfer!

marianne said...

hi, Sheila!
love your surfing shirt (i'm not sure what you call it). would love to know where you can get shirts like it in Manila - other than Billabong...

thanks.
gorgeous photos. makes me wish for long days at the beach.

Unknown said...

Disastermari: Thanks for liking the shirt a.k.a. Rash Guard! It makes me feel so much better since I had to buy it on the spot (along with the shorts) in La Union...at Surf Camp along the Urbiztondo beach. I spaced out that weekend and left all swimming and surfing gear nicely stacked on my bed, forgetting to stick them in my backpack.

The rash guard and shorts are from the local label Fluidsurf, and I heard they have a shop/stall along Katipunan Road. They have great stuff, and cheaper than Billabong too :)