Wednesday, February 01, 2006

January Lessons

Image hosting by Photobucket

The view from Surf Camp, Urbiztondo, La Union, the best source of banana pancakes and instant coffee.

Image hosting by Photobucket

Cool special effects from firedancers...and surfers too! Some people just have sooo much talent.


Lesson from Earl...learning to stand on the board. It took me 2 LU trips to finally get up!

Image hosting by Photobucket

I always end up wiping out.  But I've had at least one proper ride!

Image hosting by Photobucket

So mostly I just end up sitting on the beach watching the experts do it (taken at the Manila Surfer's Cup last January 21-22, 2006)...

Image hosting by Photobucket


...or posing with other surfing neophytes who hope to become real surfers someday...

Image hosting by Photobucket

We just love the camera!


Image hosting by Photobucket

Here we are hanging out with real surfers...guys who always have great tans year round and enviously flat abs! For more great surfing pics, visit Sid's fabulous photo galley.




My previous entry was about looking back at what I had learned in the previous year. But suprisingly January gave me a barrage of new lessons.  My 1st time to properly ride a wave in La Union, thanks to Earl's patience.   My 1st try at Power-Kiting, where I briefly got to fly a 6-meter kite in Greenfields, Santa Rosa Laguna,  thanks to Patrick. My 1st attempt to jump around in the sand playing Ultimate Frisbee.  Learning to play crazy and highly-recommended board games Apples to Apples and Cranium. Who would've thought I'd move beyond Cluedo, Pictionary and the classic Millleborne? The best lesson of all: learning that that I've finally learned my lesson on something I was so stubborn about after all this time!

The great thing about learning is that you never think you can figure it out but when you  FINALLY do...its one of the best feelings in the world. If this is what I accomplished in just the 1st month of the year, I can't wait for the rest.

2 comments:

Mrs P said...

Hey there! I got your blog thru deepa. :) I've been wanting to surf but I don't really have the cojones to try it. hehehe.. I'm just scared I might drown or something.. Is it hard to learn??


nette
lifesomewhere.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

You're talking to a non-athletic, slightly claustrophobic occasional (i wish!)smoker so you can imagine how tough it can be to keep up my strength to paddle out then to get hit back by a big wave. The water is only about waist-high, but when you're in that, a 4-foot wave looks intimidating. But I love the water..when I'm at the beach it makes me relax and forget everything so I would like to go back as much as I can. Two things I learned from surfers: (1) Like most things, you learn surfing by practice. (2) Who's the best surfer? The one who has the most fun!

If you'd like to learn surfing in La Union, call Beach Break Surf School at 0917-5292924 or email beachbreak_surf_school@yahoo.com.
:)